Brain injuries happen unexpectedly and can have devastating impacts on a person. Such injuries can result in permanent disabilities and diminish the quality of life for a victim. In addition, brain injuries generally require extensive, long-term treatment and cost more than most people make in a lifetime.
If you or someone you know has been the victim of a brain injury and believe someone else is at fault, you may be entitled to compensation for the damages. If someone else is help liable, then you more than likely have grounds for a case. Because of the complexities and high stakes involved in brain injury cases, it is vital to hire a brain injury lawyer.
Traumatic Brain Injuries
Brain injuries can result from any accident that results in severe trauma to the head. There are several types of injuries that can occur depending on the type and amount of force that impacts the head. These injuries can range from mild to severe. Some of the most common types of brain injuries include:
- Contusions: A strong impact to the head causes bruising (bleeding) on the brain.
- Penetration: When an object perforates the brain and causes damage to brain tissue.
- Diffuse Axonal Injury: Generally caused by shaking and/or rotating of the head that results in tearing of brain structures.
- Concussions: Happens from a direct impact or sudden movement of the head, such as a hit to head or whiplash.
Non-Traumatic Brain Injuries
Non-traumatic brain injuries are a class of acquired brain injuries that occur when the brain is damaged by incidents not involving physical trauma to the head. Most non-traumatic brain injuries result from a lack of oxygen to the brain. The main causes are strokes, tumors, toxins, drowning and strangulation.
Why it is Important to Have an Attorney
Brain injury cases are among the most complex personal injury cases and generally have the most at stake. It is, therefore, vital to have legal representation when deciding to go forward with a brain injury case. The following are the top reasons why a brain injury lawyer is necessary:
- To file the personal injury claim and determine the accurate amount to demand
- To gather the necessary evident supporting your claim
- To negotiate with the insurance companies
- To ensure that all losses and damages are recovered
- They will help reach the best settlement possible
- If the case goes to trial, they will represent you
- They have the legal experience and knowledge to navigate the process efficiently and increase your chances of getting the highest possible settlement
Because of the devastating impacts a brain injury can cause, you will not want to risk potential compensation for the damages. Brain injury lawyers are better experienced in the specific field within personal injury cases, so they can offer you the best chance at winning a fair settlement. Most lawyers will offer a free consultation, so you should contact a brain injury lawyer Memphis TN relies on add mediaas soon as possible to determine your options moving forward.
Thanks to our friends and contributors at Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLC, for their insight into brain injuries.