A Washington DC automobile accident lawyer, or a Washington DC motorcycle accident lawyer can offer important advice should you or a loved one become a victim of a motorcycle-automobile collision.The aftermath of an automobile accident—or a vehicular accident of any kind— can leave us with many questions and concerns. Motorcyclists are not always readily visible to automobile drivers, but without the protective framework of a car, they are certainly more susceptible to injury. Thus it may behoove you to consult with an attorney.
Our Washington DC automobile accident lawyers and Washington DC motorcycle accident attorneys can provide critical information, as well as provide reassuring guidance during this stressful time. After being injured in an automobile accident, it would be wise to follow these key steps:
- Seek medical attention. Not only will immediate treatment minimize the damage and long term effects of an injury, it will also provide you with necessary documentation when pursuing a personal injury claim or lawsuit. If you forego seeing a medical professional, an insurance claims adjuster may argue that your injury was not serious enough to warrant medical attention and therefore not serious enough to require compensation from the at-fault party.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with all parties involved. Be sure to obtain names, contact information and insurance provider information from the other involved parties. However, be wary of divulging too much of your own information. As crucial as exchanging the right information may be, it is equally important in this instance to protect your identity and guard against fraud. Read our Washington DC motorcycle accident lawyer tips for guidance on how to safely protect your identity during the exchange.
- Document evidence. If your cellular phone has a camera feature and is still functioning after the crash, utilize it to take photos of the accident scene, the vehicles involved in the collision, any applicable road signs or traffic signals, as well as any immediately visible injuries. Taking pictures of the road, the weather conditions and any other factors that may have contributed to the accident can also prove helpful. Also, save any mechanic’s receipts, hospital invoices and bills for medical care–both physical and emotional. Oftentimes accident victims suffer emotional trauma after an accident, so keeping a journal is another means of examining the ways in which the accident may have impacted a victim’s life.
If you sustain injuries in an automobile accident, which result from another’s negligent or reckless behavior, it is possible to receive compensation for the following damages:
- Cuts and bruises
- Motorcycle repair
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Emotional trauma or distress
- Lost wages
- Medical and therapy costs
- Loss of Household Services
- Loss of Consortium
If you are being denied fair compensation for losses resulting from an automobile accident, contact Cohen & Cohen PC for a free case evaluation. Our highly qualified Washington DC automobile accident lawyers will provide guidance, and will fight for your right to be fairly compensated.